Monasteries and churches
The true custodians of the history and tradition of Ibarski Kolasin are monasteries and churches, and there is almost the same number of monasteries and churches as villages (Kolasin has 64 villages). Among them the most important monasteries are certainly Duboki Potok and Crna Rijeka.
Duboki Potok monastery was built in the fourteenth century. It is located in the central part of Ibarski Kolasin, between the villages and Dobroševina and Citluk. The church is on the left bank of the stream with the same name, which flows hundreds of meters below into the Ibar River as its left tributary. Several times destroyed and rebuilt, and as such it shares the fate of many monasteries, especially those from Old Serbia.
Turkish list of famous villages, estates, goods and people from 1455 says that the monastery Dikodil, as the Church of the Virgin in Duboki Potok is nowadays often referred to by people, was deserted in nahiye Klopotnik. Restoration of the monastery is linked to the eighteenth century. In the nineteenth century, the church became a great national meeting place and an important cultural property in Ibarski Kolasin. People met around the church at Christmas, Epiphany, Annunciation, Easter, Pentecost, and in particular the Assumption and Presentation, patron saint of the church, and the tradition of gathering was held until today.
The church was expanded in 1860. and residences were built around it. The first Serbian school in the area started to work in the residence halls in 1891. In 1901, Society of Princess Ljubica bestowed the church bell which is still located there. The original painting is not preserved, but thanks to the devotion of monks in 2013 the internal painting was finished.
Today, monastery Duboki Potok is the only Serbian monastery in Kosovo and Metohija where the manuscripts are kept. In the monastery there are parts of the relics of the Holy Healers, and a very good reputation among the people belongs to the arm of the Holy Martyr Nikita, called simply the Holy Hand.
Crna Rijeka (Black River) is a cave church located in the cliff on the left bank of the river of the same name. Crna Rijeka, located directly below the monastery does not flow over the surface, it sinks and it's because, as legend has it, that impetuous mountain rivers would not interfere with their humming in the centuries of worship. It is located in the far northwest of Ibarski Kolasin, on the administrative border with the municipality of Tutin.
Monastery Crna Rijeka is located in the beautiful setting of hundred-year-old forests, and the mountain Mokra Gore above. River has for centuries been the meeting place of the religious, monastic, and cultural lives of people of this region and all Serbs. Although the old handwritten records and the literature show that the church is dedicated to the Holy Archangels, it is actually dedicated to St. Michael the Archangel. Since they transferred the relics of Saint Peter Koriski, the monastery celebrates St. Peter as the patron saint (July 12 by the Gregorian calendar).
Even today we do not know the exact time of setting up of the monastery of Crna Rijeka. The author of the most comprehensive work on Crna Rijeka so far, R. Stanic, says that the similarity of this and other monasteries of the Middle Ages suggests that the monastery was even older than that some data suggest (first half of the fourteenth century). The earliest data are related to the year in which the iconostasis was made, in 1601 at the time of the abbot monk Đenadije. In 1687, the relics of Stefan Prvovencani were transferred to Crna Rijeka where they remained for 9 years, before being transferred to the Studenica monastery. Of the historical data from the eighteenth century, it is important to mention that in 1793, the priest Jeremija Arsenijević Belopoljac built the monastery fountain, and in 1798 the icon of the Mother of God was painted. At the end of the nineteenth century the schoole started working in Crna Rijeka.
There is evidence that in this century the monastery was, among other things, the seat of the governor of the Russian consul in Mitrovica, the Consul of the Kingdom of Serbia and Kingdom of Montenegro.
Names of two Serbian saints are associated with the monastery: St. Joannicius Devic and St. Peter Koriski.
The relics of St. Peter Koriski have been in Crna Rijeka for three centuries already. The architectural solution is manifested in the use of the natural cave area and its architectural upgrades in such a way so that it presents one of the most beautiful cave churches in Serbia.